The mainstream media’s liberal bias long ago ceased to be a matter of debate. Other than the conservative strongholds of talk radio and Fox News, few pundits even bother to argue anymore that the overwhelming majority of their platforms tilt to the left. But that still doesn’t stop some of them from trying to deny the obvious. A prime example comes today from the normally sober Howard Kurtz, who writes in the Daily Beast to claim that President Obama has received more unfavorable press coverage than the Republican candidates during the recent GOP nomination contest.
Kurtz bases his assertion on a study conducted by the Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism that analyzed the positive and negative treatment of the president and the candidates in the press during the last few months. But the main takeaway from their data is not so much that the press was filled with Obama-bashing — a result that was generated mostly by the fact that all the GOP candidates were critical of the president — but that his normally adoring press corps covered him more like a candidate than a commander-in-chief. That might have more to do with the fact that Obama has been spent more time in the last year playing the partisan than governing. A more insightful conclusion about the press and Obama came from an unlikely source — Arthur Brisbane, the public editor of the New York Times – who wrote yesterday to call out his own paper for their fawning and biased coverage of the president.
In the latest CBS News/New York Times poll, respondents were asked their views of Israel. The numbers should remind American Jews that their loyalty to the Democratic Party is not repaid with fond feelings toward the Jewish state. Among those polled, 15 percent have a very favorable view of Israel, and 40 percent a somewhat favorable view, for a total of 55 percent. Among Republicans that number is 70 percent, while a minority — only 47 percent — of Democrats have a favorable or somewhat favorable view. Likewise, 23 percent of all respondents have an unfavorable or very unfavorable view of Israel, but that number is only 17 percent for Republicans and 27 percent for Democrats.
As was the case in February when a similar partisan divide was reflected in a Gallup poll, one must ask: “Why do they despise their familiars and love The Stranger who hates them — and hates them all the more for their craven pursuit of him?” Indeed, in this case, the ongoing fidelity to the Democratic Party and to Obama himself — and the relatively muted response to the Obami assault on Israel and anemic response to the existential threat to the Jewish state — no doubt encourages the administration to keep at its policy. Robert Gibbs has told us and the president as much — it’s safe to bash our ally.
In sum, Jews remain overwhelmingly faithful to the party and a president who has been the most destructive to the U.S.-Israel relationship since the founding of the Jewish state. (Seriously, who comes close?) Israel had better find more ardent supporters than American Jews, for they plainly don’t have Israel’s security as their top priority.